Hi friend. Today I wanted to talk about the landslide vote from The Woodlands residents rejecting the move to become a city instead of a township.
On November 2nd, 2021 the results came in showing that 16,431 voted against The Woodlands becoming recognized as a city, and 7,932 voted for it. The results are still technically considered unofficial but will be certified on November 12th, 2021.
The incorporation was presented in 2 propositions:
- Proposition A - To authorize the township to incorporate into a Type-A General Law City & adopt an initial property tax rate of 22.31 cents per $100 of assessed value.
- Proposition B - To transfer the authority of rights, powers, privileges, duties, purposes, functions, responsibilities, issue bonds and impose taxes, from the township district to the City of The Woodlands.
As a township, The Woodlands contracts law enforcement & other services from Montgomery County & Harris County, but does have its own fire department. Montgomery County Precinct 3 Commissioner James Noack proclaimed “In The Woodlands, we still believe in smaller government, fiscal responsibility, and limited power, which is why voters were overwhelmingly against incorporation all along,”....“I’m proud we will remain a Township, as well as the best place in America to live, and I know our best days are still ahead.”
After Kingwood was annexed by the city of Houston in 1996, The Woodlands township began to worry for their future & wondered if the same thing might happen to them. Luckily in 2007 the township made agreements with the cities of Houston & Conroe stating that it could not be annexed for the next 5 decades.
The townships' board decided to put incorporation on the November 2nd ballot after a consulting firm study showed that incorporation wouldn't require a tax rate increase. However, The Hughes Corp. later reported that they severely underestimated the cost of incorporation and that the proposed city would indeed have to raise tax rates & cut services.
“Every resident should be alarmed by the profound financial and operational deficiencies of the Township’s plan for public safety uncovered by two independent law enforcement experts. Their analysis clearly demonstrates that a rush to incorporate would jeopardize our public safety. These findings are critical to casting an informed ballot on November 2nd.” -Jim Carman, President of the Houston Region at The Howard Hughes Corporation
So overall, this landslide vote against incorporating into a city was a positive thing for the township. It's evident that the residents of The Woodlands are completely content with how everything is and are definitely against this major, unnecessary change.
Here is a link to the recent unofficial election results | LINK
I hope you found this blog post helpful. If you are thinking about relocating to Houston or the Houston suburbs, I hope you reach out to me. I would love to be your REALTOR® and your resource.
We are so happy you found our little corner of the interwebs. We look forward to y'all reaching out to us. We love to answer questions and welcome them. Recently we created some local maps, and you can download those by clicking the image/link above. Below, you will find an index of some very helpful information to assist you in learning more about the Houston suburbs. If you are relocating to our neck of the woods, we hope you reach out to us, because we would love to help you by being your local realtor and friend. Thoughtfully written for you. Hugs, Jo.
We are Waiting for You
If you are looking to relocate to the Houston Area, we would love to meet you, and hear your story. Below you will find all of my contact information, as well as some homes for sale in the area. We truly look forward to hearing from you! P.S. Don't forget to check out our YouTube Channel!
If you are overwhelmed..
Now if you are feeling overwhelmed on where you should plant your roots, I would love to talk to you. You can schedule a call with me by click this link: http://byjoandco.com/call or just send us an email: email@example.com. There are some amazing communities all over the Houston suburbs. In this post, https://search.byjoandco.com/blog/best-neighborhoods-in-houston/, I deep dive into all the different suburbs/neighborhoods that you might want to consider, and why. There are many resources here, so please reach out if you are curious what to look at next! Thank you for trusting us.
• Navigate our Blog: https://byjoandco.com/categories-to-help-you-navigate-the-blog/
• Download our Moving to Texas ebook! http://byjoandco.com/movingtotexasebook.
• Download our Where to Live in Houston Texas ebook! http://byjoandco.com/wheretoliveebook.
• Browse our Ebooks and Relocation Guides: http://byjoandco.com/ebooks
• Schedule a phone call or appointment with us! http://byjoandco.com/appointment.
• Email us! Jordan@byjoandco.com.
• Looking for a buyer’s agent? Fill out our buyer questionnaire! http://byjoandco.com/q.
• Ready to find your dream home? Search, http://search.byjoandco.com.
• Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: http://byjoandco.com/youtube.