Officials decided to increase the homestead exemption for residents 65 and older and those who are disabled from $25,000 to $40,000 at a budget planning meeting held June 22 before The Woodlands' regular board of directors meeting.
According to President and General Manager Monique Sharp, the change will cost the township about $300,000 in revenue for fiscal year 2023. The fiscal year of the township runs from January to December. Budget meetings are scheduled to begin at 8:30 a.m. to noon on Aug. 22. every day The board will vote on a proposed tax rate on August 25.
At the June 22 meeting, board members discussed preliminary cost estimates for the coming year. Sharp explained that one of the new costs will be the township taking over responsibility for The Woodlands Waterway, which will result in additional maintenance costs. Renovations to several fire stations, including a rebuild of Station No. 5, are also on the horizon. Material cost fluctuations could have an impact on any building project's projections, according to board Vice Chair Brucer Rieser.
Despite the fact that many properties' appraisals have continued to increase in 2022, township officials say the amount of revenue that can be accumulated through taxation is limited by state law. According to officials, property tax revenue for operations and maintenance cannot be increased by more than 3.5% per year without voter approval, which would be $1.6 million in The Woodlands. The township will receive the same amount of tax revenue as the previous year if it adopts a no-new-revenue tax rate, formerly known as the effective tax rate.
"Property values are going up, but … my guess is we're going to go down to the effective tax rate," Rieser said.
According to officials, the current financial landscape includes higher property values and higher sales tax revenues, but it also includes higher material costs and other inflationary costs.
“Our contractors are submitting increases in the double digits,” Sharp said. “That is not something we have seen before but it is something we will have to factor in.”
Other Blog You Might Interested in:
- Other The Woodlands TX Related Blog Posts | Link
- The Woodlands Real Estate Market Update | Link
- The Woodlands World's Largest Master Planned Community Reach LEED Precertification | Link
- The Shop Coming to Market Street in The Woodlands - Fall 2022 | Link
- The Woodlands TX Relocation Guide | Link
I hope you found this blog post helpful. If you are thinking about relocating to Houston or the Houston suburbs, I hope you reach out to me. I would love to be your REALTOR® and your resource.
We are so happy you found our little corner of the interwebs. We look forward to y'all reaching out to us. We love to answer questions and welcome them. Recently we created some local maps, and you can download those by clicking the image/link above. Below, you will find an index of some very helpful information to assist you in learning more about the Houston suburbs. If you are relocating to our neck of the woods, we hope you reach out to us, because we would love to help you by being your local realtor and friend. Thoughtfully written for you. Hugs, Jo.
We are Waiting for You
If you are looking to relocate to the Houston Area, we would love to meet you, and hear your story. Below you will find all of my contact information, as well as some homes for sale in the area. We truly look forward to hearing from you! P.S. Don't forget to check out our YouTube Channel!
If you are overwhelmed..
Now if you are feeling overwhelmed on where you should plant your roots, I would love to talk to you. You can schedule a call with me by click this link: http://byjoandco.com/call or just send us an email: email@example.com. There are some amazing communities all over the Houston suburbs. In this post, https://search.byjoandco.com/blog/best-neighborhoods-in-houston/, I deep dive into all the different suburbs/neighborhoods that you might want to consider, and why. There are many resources here, so please reach out if you are curious what to look at next! Thank you for trusting us.
• Navigate our Blog: https://byjoandco.com/categories-to-help-you-navigate-the-blog/
• Download our Moving to Texas ebook! http://byjoandco.com/movingtotexasebook.
• Download our Where to Live in Houston Texas ebook! http://byjoandco.com/wheretoliveebook.
• Browse our Ebooks and Relocation Guides: http://byjoandco.com/ebooks
• Schedule a phone call or appointment with us! http://byjoandco.com/appointment.
• Email us! Jordan@byjoandco.com.
• Looking for a buyer’s agent? Fill out our buyer questionnaire! http://byjoandco.com/q.
• Ready to find your dream home? Search, http://search.byjoandco.com.
• Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: http://byjoandco.com/youtube.